Job Opportunities

If you want to teach another person to drive in return for money or reward, you need to hold a driving instructor’s licence. Applying for this licence involves a number of steps, including police checks, an instructor training course and a final assessment.

The first step is for you to complete: TLI41218 – Certificate IV in Transport and Logistics (Road Transport – Car Driving Instruction). There are no entry requirements, so you can commence the course immediately. Attainment of this certificate will qualify you to work and be employed as a Driving Instructor within the Transport and Logistics Industry.

You can take the course through the Academy of Road Safety. We offer a highly flexible learning schedule and we will deliver thistraining according to your availability. We always aim to create the bestpossible, smooth and stress-free learning experience. We understand that you may be juggling other commitments, which is why we also offer this training online. You will still receive support and assistance from us when you require it. This can be over the phone, email or in person.

Upon completion of the training at the Academy of Road Safety, you will have the option to work for yourself or any driving school in Australia. This specialised training will make you certified to be a Driving Instructor.

After completing the course, you will need to apply to become a driving instructor.

The first step is to submit the driving instructor’s licence application form, and you can do this at any service centre.

How to apply

1. Check the eligibility requirements.

2. Download and complete the Application for Licence under Driving Instructors Act 1992 – PDF but don’t sign it until you visit a service centre.

3. Make sure you have all your documentation and any additional items (if applicable).

4. Visit a service centre and submit your application.


You must:
▪ be aged 21 years or older
▪ hold a current Australian driver licence
▪ have held the equivalent class of unrestricted licence in which you want to instruct, for a minimum of 3 of the last 4 years
▪ hold a WWCC number.

What you’ll need:
▪ your proof of identity
▪ a medical practitioner to complete the medical check section of the application form
▪ eye specialist or optometrist’s report (if applicable)
▪ your driver licence
▪ your Working With Children Check (WWCC) number
▪ if you haven’t held a driver licence in NSW for more than 3 years, you’ll also need a driving record/history from the state or country where you previously held your licence
▪ your contact lenses or glasses (if applicable)
▪ 4 passport size photographs
▪ the PDF form – ‘Application for Licence under Driving Instructors Act 1992’.

Contact us

Do you have any questions?

If you have any questions about the process, do not hesitate to contact the RMS with official inquiries. We are also here to help. Drop us a line if you’ve got a question!